Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Feelin' Squirrely...


Today I've been on a creative kick. I looked over at my pillows and thought, I'm really sick of looking at these, they're so boring. Hence came the idea of a squirrel jean pillow cover. I used my husband's old pinstriped bootleg pants and covered a hideous eyesore. Well I thought it was hideous. Here's the steps if anyone wants to cover some ungodly pillows.

Step 1 : Use a rectangle pillow that you don't care about because you'll never see it again. Grab a pair of cool looking wide legged jeans. You can easily find some at goodwill. 

Step 2: Turn pant leg inside out and sew the bottom of it shut. 

It should look like this:

Step 3: Turn it right side out and push the seams so that they're squared off.

 Step 3: Stuff the pillow down the leg. It's ok if it's really tight, it will stretch out over time. Make sure the pillow isn't too small though. You shouldn't be able to easily spin the cloth around the pillow, that means the pants are too wide legged or the pillows too small. 

 Sweet! Snug as a bug in a rug. 

Step 4: Time to trim off the excess. Make sure it's about a thumb width that you trim from the end of the pillow. 

 Step 5: Time to pin! My favorite! Not. Tuck the edges inwards and bring together and pin.


 Step 6: Sew the edge!

Step 7: You can use any fabric or ribbon you want. I chose this cute flower design. I turned it inside out and sewed the edges together to make a ring. Flipped it right side out and put it on the pillow. 

 Step 8: Then I took some cute red felt ric rac and measured it to go around the edges of the flower material. I did the same procedure, sewed the edges and made a ring. 

 Step 9: You can be done with the pillow if you want to, but I chose to download a squirrel template and trace it onto some navy felt. 

Sew it on.

 Tada! Squirrel Pillow! Tip: If you want to make sure the fabric and ric rac stays put use some hemming tape and iron on beneath it. 



0 comments: