Monday, March 28, 2011

Mod Podge Easter eggs

I remember when I was younger my mom used to mod podge and I always thought it was so interesting. She also taught me this cool trick with magazine pages. It's sort of a butterfly effect which makes the pages transparent which is perfect for decoupaging. I thought I'd try this on my easter eggs!


Step 1: Get some mod podge. 
Step 2: Blow out some eggs and make sure you have a sponge brush.
Step 3: Get some thin materials to use for the decoupage like tissue paper, magazine pages, or cupcake wrappers.
I used these two pages for my decoupaging
 I decided to do a polka dot egg so I punched out magazine pages

 Got some of my vintage mini cupcake wrappers...
Put two together to make the egg stand
See how cute!
Step 4: Then you take a piece large enough to go around your egg and soak it in water. Make sure the whole thing soaks (despite what my pic looks like...haha)
Step 5: Now this is the hard part. You have to be really gentle or it will tear very easily. Make sure you lay the image side down. To start it, begin rubbing until it starts to roll. Once it starts to roll be very careful. You will have to keep adding water to the area you are working on, you don't want it to get dry.  Especially on the edges, they tear the easiest.
You will have an end result similar to this
Tada!! Translucent image for your egg! Make sure to pat it down before applying.
Step 6: You will use the sponge brush to dap the mod podge on the egg then wrapping the paper around it. It obviously won't fit so you will need to press and crease it continually. Who cares if it's not entirely smooth, just don't break the paper because it's even easier to tear with all that glue sliding around.
Hope everyone makes some cutesy easter eggs!! 

0 comments: